[ModLib] ModLib Digest, Vol 127, Issue 2

Luke Salisbury lukesalisbury3 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 14:38:16 EDT 2018


What are the best histories of the Modern Library?

Luke Salisbury

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 12:00 PM, modlib-request at thuban.owu.edu wrote:
> 
> Send ModLib mailing list submissions to
> 	modlib at thuban.owu.edu
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://thuban.owu.edu/mailman/listinfo/modlib
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	modlib-request at thuban.owu.edu
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	modlib-owner at thuban.owu.edu
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ModLib digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Fwd: Back to School with the Modern Library (Ron Holl)
>   2. Re: Fwd: Back to School with the Modern Library (Bill Hornick)
>   3. PLAYS OF OSCAR WILDE 83.2 QUESTIONS (jwolansky1 at verizon.net)
>   4. Re: PLAYS OF OSCAR WILDE 83.2 QUESTIONS (Ron Holl)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:28:38 -0400
> From: "Ron Holl" <ron at scribblemonger.com>
> To: "For collectors of Modern Library books" <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ModLib] Fwd: Back to School with the Modern Library
> Message-ID: <762b5fb864f7e911f153945be026b263.squirrel at 204.197.242.13>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
> 
> And of course the most famous little spine club:
> 
> http://modernlib.com/Identifiers/minis/mlMinis.html
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Thu, September 20, 2018 5:52 pm, John Krygier wrote:
>> Maybe of interest to the list? ?bite-size classics"
>> 
>> 
>> John K.
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 00:34:02 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Bill Hornick <willthemad at aol.com>
> To: modlib at thuban.owu.edu
> Subject: Re: [ModLib] Fwd: Back to School with the Modern Library
> Message-ID: <1613105971.43884.1537490042560 at mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Ron,I received the same email that John did.? I thought it dealt with a new series but it's just calling low-page-count novels, etc. bite-sized.Bill
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ron Holl <ron at scribblemonger.com>
> To: For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
> Sent: Thu, Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm
> Subject: Re: [ModLib] Fwd: Back to School with the Modern Library
> 
> And of course the most famous little spine club:
> 
> http://modernlib.com/Identifiers/minis/mlMinis.html
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Thu, September 20, 2018 5:52 pm, John Krygier wrote:
>> Maybe of interest to the list? ?bite-size classics"
>> 
>> 
>> John K.
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ModLib mailing list
> ModLib at thuban.owu.edu
> http://thuban.owu.edu/mailman/listinfo/modlib
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://thuban.owu.edu/pipermail/modlib/attachments/20180921/efb9fbe0/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 08:12:45 -0400
> From: <jwolansky1 at verizon.net>
> To: "Modern Library List Serve" <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
> Subject: [ModLib] PLAYS OF OSCAR WILDE 83.2 QUESTIONS
> Message-ID: <022e01d451a4$68ee6f90$3acb4eb0$@verizon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I noted an offered "1st" Modern Library edition of this volume on eBay at
> what appears to be a highly inflated opening price of $196.50.  Since I am
> about to offer a copy on eBay this Sunday, I checked my copy and Scott's
> site.  The offer refers to "New Modern Library Edition" on the copyright
> page.  The book notes section on Scott's site indicates this is a first
> pointer.  My copy dates to fall 1938 based on both the jacket total, jacket
> detail, and rear of book detail and includes the "New" blurb on the
> copyright page.
> 
> 
> 
> Should this title be included on Scott's site in the False Firsts list since
> the "New" slug seems to be retained?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://thuban.owu.edu/pipermail/modlib/attachments/20180921/8acd30af/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:43:33 -0400
> From: "Ron Holl" <ron at scribblemonger.com>
> To: "For collectors of Modern Library books" <modlib at thuban.owu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ModLib] PLAYS OF OSCAR WILDE 83.2 QUESTIONS
> Message-ID: <30fc950e8533c4e0e2886af8c00e6620.squirrel at 204.197.242.13>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
> 
> Yes, that would appear to be the case. It would be nice to have more data;
> your observation says it was present in 1938, I can confirm it was not
> present in 1946, 1958, nor 1962. So was it removed in the #7 to #8
> transition? Can anyone else give a report from a copy in the 1932 to 1941
> date range?
> 
> It seems like the mention of a previously listed copy has no relevance,
> unless I've missed something in regard to it.
> 
> 
> ron
> 
> 
> On Fri, September 21, 2018 8:12 am, jwolansky1 at verizon.net wrote:
>> I noted an offered "1st" Modern Library edition of this volume on eBay at
>> what appears to be a highly inflated opening price of $196.50.  Since I
>> am about to offer a copy on eBay this Sunday, I checked my copy and
>> Scott's
>> site.  The offer refers to "New Modern Library Edition" on the copyright
>> page.  The book notes section on Scott's site indicates this is a first
>> pointer.  My copy dates to fall 1938 based on both the jacket total,
>> jacket detail, and rear of book detail and includes the "New" blurb on the
>> copyright page.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Should this title be included on Scott's site in the False Firsts list
>> since the "New" slug seems to be retained?
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ModLib mailing list
> ModLib at thuban.owu.edu
> http://thuban.owu.edu/mailman/listinfo/modlib
> 
> 
> End of ModLib Digest, Vol 127, Issue 2
> **************************************




More information about the ModLib mailing list