[ModLib] James Branch Cabell in the Modern Library

John Thorne leemetford at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 07:44:36 EDT 2017

Hi all,

John Thorne here. I’m the webmaster for The Silver Stallion<http://jamesbranchcabell.org/cabellmain.html>, a site dedicated to the Virginia author James Branch Cabell. One of the main features of our site is the bibliography, which we strive to make as complete as possible, of works by and about Cabell. Three of his books were published in the Modern Library, as well as one short story and an introduction to Anatole France’s The Queen Pedauque.

I’ve just completed a new section for our site called Cabell in the Modern Library<http://jamesbranchcabell.org/notes_essays/cabell_mod_lib.html>. In it, we try to list every printing, binding, dust jacket, and variation of Cabell’s ML oeuvre. I know that such as goal is realistically unachievable, but we want to get as close as we can. Since the readers of this list, collectively, comprise the world’s best source of information about the Modern Library, I would like to enlist your help.

If you get a chance, please click on the link above and look over what I have written. My email address is leemetford at hotmail.com<mailto:leemetford at hotmail.com>. Any comments, corrections, and suggestions are greatly appreciated. If you can provide me with scans of printings, bindings, dust jackets, or anything else that I’m missing, I’ll gratefully add it to the site, and add your name to the exalted ranks of Friends of the Silver Stallion. All half dozen of the people in the world who care will be greatly impressed, let me tell you!

Early dust jackets are one area where the site is woefully lacking, but I am sure there are many things out there that would be worth including, and one of the great things about publishing on the interwebs instead of paper and ink is that there is no concern about available space –we can include everything we feel would be valuable.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear from you soon.