[ModLib] Odd gullivers travel jacket

John Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:13:32 EDT 2016

There are a dozen or so MLs that had jacket re-designs in the late 1930s, and
those designs were also used after the larger format was introduced in 1940.
I would guess that this jacket is not cut down, but an example of one of those
re-designs.

As far as I recall, the first larger format MLs started coming out in 1940. During
that transition there were some odd books - balloon cloth in the larger #8 format
size, blank endpapers, etc. Not all titles came out in the larger format in 1940.

I’m sure if a book was in demand and not yet reformatted for the larger size (8)
ML would have reprinted the balloon/#7 format (even if it was 1940).

John K.

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 6:04 PM, Matt Jenkins <mattjenkins37 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I compared the jacket to some other #8 bindings from that era that I have and it seems to line up with those.
>
>  Convinced now it was trimmed down but don't know if it was by the ML or a collector. Probably will never know.
>
> Matt
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 25, 2016, at 5:58 PM, Ron Holl <ron at scribblemonger.com <mailto:ron at scribblemonger.com>> wrote:
>
>> I don't recall seeing a jacket trimmed to fit a smaller format book, but
>> wouldn't be surprised if it happened.  Certainly there are many cases of
>> books sheets being trimmed to the binding.
>>
>> The fact that this is a 1940 jacket would support the ML trimming it to
>> fit the #7 binding.  But, I can also see someone trying to make a jacketed
>> flex out of spare parts.  Can you tell if that jacket is a standard #8
>> size in other respects?
>>

>> ron
>>

>> On Sun, September 25, 2016 1:25 pm, Matt Jenkins wrote:
>>> It is hard to tell because of all the chipping at the top but it appears
>>> to be trimmed. The dimensions of the book are 6 3/4 by 4 1/2.
>>> There is no list of books in the back.
>>>

>>> Do you think someone trimmed this down or was it the publisher that did
>>> it? Have you ever seen any other books like this?
>>>

>>> Matt
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> --

j   b   k r y g i e r

o h i o   w e s l e y a n   u n i v e r s i t y
g e o l o g y   a n d   g e o g r a p h y
e n v i r o n m e n t a l  s t u d i e s
d e l a w a r e   o h   4 3 0 1 5

makingmaps.net  |  krygier.owu.edu  |  sustainability.owu.edu