[ModLib] ModernLib New Feature: ML Chronicles Series

Ron Holl ron at scribblemonger.com
Sat Jul 9 22:12:46 EDT 2016

Bill Hornick and I have added the Modern Library Chronicles series to
ModernLib. The ML Chronicles is a history series released between 2000 and
2011, although the paperback editions are still being printed by the ML
(at least, some of them are).  Thanks to Scot for providing an editorial
review of the material.  This feature is available here:

http://modernlib.com/Identifiers/chronicles/mlChronicles.html

Documenting this series started in 2006, as part of the Amenities of
Modern Library Collecting site, when the series was still actively
releasing new titles.  In that year I found a jacketed copy of Fussell's
"Boys' Crusade" for a buck in a half price bookstore, and wondered what it
was... both the jacket and the hardcover spines had a number listed along
with a torchbearer.  I bought it, and (of course) the first thing I did
was tell Scot about it.  Neither of us knew the ML had numbered anything
after the classical era ended (in 1970, as far as releasing new titles in
that era).  jWol (John Wolansky) had a few of them, including at least one
of the unusual initial jackets on the first titles.

The Chronlicles project at Amenities was never completed, even after we
merged ModernLib (nee Dogeared) and Amenities.  When we recently discussed
adding 1990 and later material, this series was one of the candidates
(since the work was already started). It turned out that Bill H. has an
extensive collection of the Chronicles including HCs with DJs, the PBs,
and BCEs. So it was decided to do the Chronicles series next (the ML Minis
being the first).  After ten years it is finally complete!

Additional "new" ML material will be added in the near future.

ron