[ModLib] Bookstores Versus Interwebs

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Jan 22 13:34:02 EST 2016

I was having breakfast this morning in the dining room. I like to eat facing the bookshelves where I have the majority of what’s left of my ML collection.

My eyes fell on the Steppenwolf, fourth shelf down on the left in the picture. It’s a Taiwan knockoff. I remember the store where I bought it, on Mission Street in San Francisco. I remember the day, the store, the owner, how I spotted the book on the shelf (it’s oversized, and the first knockoff I had ever seen).

A bunch of the other books on that shelf I got on eBay: I remember nothing about the purchases.

Buying on the Internet filled out my collection; buying in stores filled out my heart.

—
      `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
       (@@)