[ModLib] Author's signature

Robert Sanger rsanger at sangerswysen.com
Wed Feb 3 11:01:21 EST 2016

A few year ago there was an eBay seller with a whole collection of ML "first editions" signed "by the authors."  Each signature was carefully forged in different ink and several had endearing inscriptions to probably mythical readers.  Like this one, several of the ML editions were published after the authors had died.

It is safe to assume that the person perpetrating this fraud -- who went to all the trouble to research the signatures -- knew the death dates of the authors. My guess is that the ML firsts, since they were cheaper than the original publisher's firsts, made the fraud more profitable and yet "first edition" made it more attractive to buyers who didn't think it through.

This sort of thing is what perpetrators get a special kick out of -- they get the buyer to suspend judgment and overlook obvious anomalies  in light of an amazing "opportunity."

It reminds me of the scam in which people received personalized letters seemingly from Ford Motor Company congratulating them, "A brand new 2016 Fusion model car will be delivered to your door. Just pay the $56.00 ownership transfer fee."  Sure enough, people paid the $56 and the mailman delivered to their door a small plastic Ford Fusion model car.

Ah, the human condition.

Best to all,

Bob Sanger

Robert Sanger
SANGER SWYSEN & DUNKLE
[http://c284112.r12.cf1.rackcdn.com/1349894288/SSDlogoRGB95compressed.jpg]
rsanger at sangerswysen.com<mailto:rsanger at sangerswysen.com>
[http://c284112.r12.cf1.rackcdn.com/work.gif](805) 962-4887
[http://c284112.r12.cf1.rackcdn.com/fax.gif](805) 963-7311
www.sangerswysen.com<http://www.sangerswysen.com>

125 East De La Guerra Street, Suite 102
Santa Barbara CA 93101

The information in this transmission including all accompanying documents is confidential and legally privileged under the attorney/client privilege and the work product doctrine. The transmission is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient any disclosure or taking any action in reliance or based on the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error please call Sanger Swysen & Dunkle at (805) 962-4887.