[ModLib] Identifying False Firsts

John Thorne leemetford at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:21:05 EST 2016

Scott and Ron,

I can add two titles, The Cream of the Jest and Jurgen, both by James Branch Cabell.

Book Title

Author

Toledano
Number

True First Indicator(s)

False slug ever removed?

Notes

The Cream of the Jest

Cabell

126.1

Catalog dated to Fall 1925 (includes Dumas, Camille, but not Anderson, Poor White)

Yes

2nd (?) printing dated to Spring 1927 has 1st notice; later printings (I've identified nine total) do not.

Jurgen

Cabell

015.2

Catalog dated to Spring 1934 (includes Caldwell, God's Little Acre, but not Heyward, Porgy)

Yes

2nd (?) printing dated to Fall 1937 has 1st notice; later printings (I've identified four total) do not.

Regards,

John Thorne