[ModLib] 1920's Buckrams

John Wolansky johnwolansky at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 16:23:46 EST 2015

Gentlemen, I just checked two Everyman’s Library buckram bindings from the 1920’s.  Neither one has reinforcing strips, either.  How common are reinforcing strips, generally?  I have no recollection of seeing them on books other than the later ML buckrams. So, I am not convinced that the lack of reinforcing strips on the 20’s library bindings discounts them as having been designed for library use.  Also, the greater heft of the EL buckrams is as obvious as it is in the ML 1920’s buckrams.

I wondered where the initial designation of the heavier bound 1920’s as Buckrams for library use originated.  So, I checked Toledano.  On page 184 I found the following: “A few buckram Modern Library were published in the late twenties.  All are hard to find, especially in fine condition.”  Ideally, someone can locate sales offerings from the period describing them for library use.  Short of that, I am not going to second guess Henry and view these volumes as manufactured for library use and not a transitional binding.

Perhaps some of the EL cross-collectors can add information.  The ML was conceived to model EL, I believe, so could the ML library bindings be copied as well?

JWOL