[ModLib] 1920's Buckrams

john peterson jpetersonlhi at frontier.com
Mon Nov 23 08:34:11 EST 2015

I recently found and bought one of the Buckram editions from the late 1920’s, and I’m curious about just how many titles were bound in this way.  The bindings are in a #4 binding style, but they are anything but flexible, with a coarse cloth cover over stiff boards.  While the four examples that I own have faded spines, they are in otherwise great shape.

The four titles that I have are:
101.2      American Poetry 1671-1928 (Stated First, 1929, with a Fall 1928 list in back)
003.2      Cellini, Autobiography (Fall, 1928 List)
138.1      Merejkowski, Romance of Da Vinci (Fall, 1928 List, also handwritten note from first owner that it was purchased 9/18/29)
132.1      Schreiner, Story of an African Farm (No List)

I haven’t been able to find out much about these books.  The first three I bought from Henry Toledano when he sold his collection, and I just found the Schreiner several weeks ago.  The fact that the American Poetry example has the marks of a first printing makes me wonder if these aren’t just another variation of the 1929 transitional bindings, rather than a ML strategic marketing move.

John Peterson