[ModLib] Interesting PBW Jacket (Plato)

Ron Holl ron at scribblemonger.com
Thu Feb 26 10:08:56 EST 2015

A little more information on those 13 digit codes.  The 978 prefix came
about much earlier than the ISBN-13, as part of the EAN:

"The EAN country codes 978 (and later 979) have been allocated since the
1980s to reserve a Unique Country Code (UCC) prefix for EAN identifiers of
published books, regardless of country of origin, so that the EAN space
can catalog books by ISBN rather than maintaining a redundant parallel
numbering system. Similar arrangements are in place for ISSNs for
periodicals (country code 977) and ISMNs for sheet music (country code
979)."

ML jackets from the Chronicles series, and type r/Gm jackets, show "EAN"
on the barcode, along with "ISBN" followed by an ISBN-10.  Thus this EAN
does not push the dates of these #15/16 bound titles that far ahead.
Based on what Bill and I have seen, the addition of the 13 digit EAN
started in the 1990s (probably at the 1992 relaunch).  The copyright pages
only display the ISBN-10.

The PBW/Woodcut jackets we have seen do not show the "EAN" text though.

ron