[ModLib] Anthology of Light Verse: End Date

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Feb 8 12:17:09 EST 2015

I date The Anthology of Light Verse as having been in the ML from 1935 through spring 1956, based on the fall publication date of Brave New World ., which assumed its ML number (48). However, the latest copy I've actually seen has a fall 1946 jacket. Normally the ML reassigned the numbers of discontinued titles to newly published titles the following publishing season. Kronenberger's anthology is listed through spring 1956 in separately published ML catalogs that were made available to bookstores and department store book departments (many of the ML racks that Random House provided to book stores and department stores had pockets for these catalogs). It's also included through spring 1956 in listings of ML books at the end of many ML volumes. It's possible that the ML discontinued The Anthology of Light Verse and forgot to delete it from ML catalogs and lists, but in general I've found these lists to reliable.