[ModLib] IML Don Quixote in regular ML Binding

John Peterson jpetersonlhi at frontier.com
Sat Aug 15 17:39:13 EDT 2015

Today in our public library book stall I found an Illustrated Don Quixote in a Regular #8 binding, a pretty good buy for $2.   In the discussion in March, 2015 about IML titles in regular ML bindings on this list serve, Barry Neavill stated that they are usually bound with dark green Kent endpapers.  The copy I found has blank endpapers, and is evidently from the first batch of 15,000 copies printed in 1946 (verso of the title page mentions Parkway Printing—see the description of the Quixote Illustrated on the ML website on the Don Quixote webpage), not the 1947 printing of 5,000 (no mention of Parkway).  The regular ML dust jacket on my find dates to Spring, 1948.  I’m puzzled by this book being from the first printing: I would think that any leftover copies of this IML would be from the 1947 printing.

In the March 2015 list serve discussion, Art Marshall said that he had an IML Quixote in  a regular ML binding.  I wonder if his has blank endpapers, and is also from the first printing?

John Peterson