[ModLib] Kim on eBay

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Tue Nov 18 12:09:20 EST 2014

AS you know, it’s my policy not to post eBay auction addresses. But this is an interesting topic and I think it’s worth an exception:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rudyard-Kipling-039-s-Kim-1st-Thus-Modern-Library-advance-review-copy-/221608712949?#viTabs_0 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rudyard-Kipling-039-s-Kim-1st-Thus-Modern-Library-advance-review-copy-/221608712949?#viTabs_0>

And yes, this is the copy we’ve been discussing over the last few days.

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 8:16 PM, Gordon Barrick Neavill <neavill at wayne.edu> wrote:
>
> The copy of Kim on eBay isn't an advance copy as the seller speculates.  The verso of the title page is shown clearly enough to see that there are only three lines at the top of the page, ending with "All Rights Reserved" in italics.  The first printing has a fourth line: "First MODERN LIBRARY Edition" with the first and last words in italics and a fifth line: "1950". I don't know if this printing has a ML list (or more likely a Giants list) at the end but it would be easy to date the jacket from the list of titles inside.  It's interesting to know that the book hasn't been trimmed.  Whoever sewed the gatherings had access to folded sheets that had never been bound -- possibly someone at the ML's printers.
>
> Barry
> --
> Gordon B. Neavill
> Associate Professor
> Wayne State University
> 106 Kresge Library
> Detroit, MI 48202
> 313-577-0507; 313-577-7563 (fax)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- attributed to Benjamin Franklin (but maybe the NRA)