[ModLib] Painting on the Jacket for Alcott

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Fri May 16 16:46:44 EDT 2014

Many mercis. Will try to check him out!

R.

________________________________
From: modlib-bounces at thuban.owu.edu <modlib-bounces at thuban.owu.edu> on behalf of John Krygier <jbkrygier at owu.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 3:18 PM
To: For collectors of Modern Library books
Subject: Re: [ModLib] Painting on the Jacket for Alcott

Apparently Albert de Mee Jousset, who had completed the illustrations
for a planned Illustrated Modern Library which was scrapped. I forgot
this fact about the Alcott!

>From ModernLib:

Ghost Illustrateds

Two Illustrated Modern Library titles announced for fall 1947 never appeared. The two "ghost" titles were Louisa May Alcott,Little Women, illustrated by Albert de Mee Jousset, and Francis Parkman, The Oregon Trail, illustrated by Winold Reiss. The artwork for both books had been completed and paid for, line cuts for Little Women had been made, type was set and in galleys, and the color illustrations were being manufactured when the two titles were postponed. The type remained in galleys for a year and a half as Random House waited for economic conditions to improve. It was finally decided to publish the books without color illustrations in the regular Modern Library.The Oregon Trail appeared in 1949 and Little Women followed in 1950. The jacket illustrations were probably by Jousset and Reiss. Considering the $2,000 that each artist had been paid, the two jackets quality as the most expensive in the ML's history.

John K.