[ModLib] LUST FOR LIFE -THE NOVEL OF VINCENT VAN GOGH - SPINE 7 w/ Blank End Papers

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Mar 21 21:37:12 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

The first place to look for that kind of information is in the BookNotes for a given title. In this case, the BookNotes for Lust For Life says this:
The first edition of Stone's Lust for Life is in the general style of the flexible balloon cloth (#7) binding, but in the larger size of the later hardcover Blumenthal (#8) binding. The endpapers are blank, even though "Endpapers designed by Rockwell Kent" is noted on the reverse of the title page.

There are at least two reports of this title with the correct first edition jacket (265 titles) in both the oversized balloon cloth format and the hard cover Blumenthal format. But the balloon cloth format came out in the Spring of 1939, while the Blumental came out in the Fall.

So we don't know WHY according to the notes, but we do know WHAT.  :-)

http://www.modernlib.com/authors/support/notes/noteBuilder.pl?tn=011.3&url=notesStoneLust.html

regards,

Scot

On Mar 21, 2014, at 6:17 PM, DAVID FARRAGUT ROHDE wrote:

> In cataloging my Modern Library Editions, I came across LUST FOR LIFE -THE NOVEL OF VINCENT VAN GOGH, by Irving Stone, with a Foreword by the Author.
> (Copyright 1934, by Irving Stone, Foreword Copyright, 1939, by Random House, Inc..  First Modern Library Edition 1939.
>
> It is of Spine 7. but the endpapers are blank, vice Kent, as cited in Henry's Guides.
>
> Can anyone tell me why this edition has blank end paper and not Kent?
>
> Again, if the answer to this question is published on Scot's outstanding website, I apologize.  But I am continuing to search.
>
> With Regards, and thank you again
>
> David

      `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
       (@@)