[ModLib] Modern Library College Editions

Ron Holl ron at scribblemonger.com
Sun Mar 16 10:39:27 EDT 2014

Hi Barry,

Thanks very much for sending that information.

The unnumbered titles (1981 and later) have numbers assigned; did you just
number those in order of release or was there a reference to those values
somewhere?  All book lists I've seen for that era use the fourth through
eighth digits of the SBN for identification.

Many of the titles marked as not included in the regular ML were regular
ML titles, but differed in some way such as introduction author,
translation, or inclusion of a review.  I think we may go one step further
and differentiate as such:

- Identical to regular ML (many are like this)
- Title in regular ML, but some difference in this edition (Pascal’s
Pensées or Mann's Death in Venice)
- Title unique to MLCE (Democracy in America)

O'Neill's Later Plays would be in the third category since only one play
(Ah, Wilderness!) appeared in the regular or giant ML.  The other three
plays are unique.

Thanks again!

ron