[ModLib] Whitman (097) title change

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Mar 13 10:58:40 EDT 2014

I'm trying to establish a firm date for the title change of 097 Whitman from Poems to Leaves of Grass. The latest copy of Poems I've seen is fall 1928.  The earliest printing I've seen of Leaves of Grass (with Staloff's trees jacket) is spring 1931. However, 097 began to appear as Leaves of Grass in ML lists in fall 1929, and my guess is that's when the title change took place.  Does anyone have a 1929 copy of 097 Leaves of Grass -- or a copy earlier than spring 1931?

Thanks!

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University