[ModLib] Possible new variation on 224.1 uncovered

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Wed Jun 25 23:06:45 EDT 2014

 I have confirmation on 1965 as the latest version without the extensions. Hornick reports a Spring 1965 without the list and a Fall 1966 with the list (which I also have).

Looks like we have a new Toledano number:  224.3. 224.2 is taken by the misnumbered Santayana, which is actually older than the 1st printing of the 18th Century Plays:

> Toledano #	Author	Title	Years in Catalog
> 224.1	Misc	Eighteenth Century Plays	1952 - 1970
> 224.2	Santayana	Philosophy of Santayana	1942 - 1952

The error goes all the way back to the first edition of The Toledano Guide (1917 - 1985). Of course, for legacy reasons we won't mess with the numbering.

I'll get the files updated by the end of the week. Credit goes to Bill Hornick for giving us a new collectable.

On Jun 25, 2014, at 7:49 PM, Gordon Barrick Neavill wrote:

> Scot,
>
> The spring 1952 first printing lacks the list of authoritative editions and selective bibliography lists 16 titles.
>
> Another variant is that by fall 1958 the jacket was being printed on coated white paper.
>
> The earliest printing I've seen with the list of authoritative editions and the expanded selected bibliography is fall 1966.  The reset title page drops the hyphen from Eighteenth-Century, and the book is printed by offset lithography instead of letterpress.
>
> Barry

 All things that are of a nature to arise are of a nature to pass away. -- Kondanna