[ModLib] GIBRALTAR LIBRARY BINDING

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:15:54 EDT 2014

David,

Gibraltar is a descriptive, librarian term referring to the
steadfastness of the binding of these volumes.  One sees the term
'Gibraltar' on stickers inside library rebinds.  If the Modern Library
used the term 'Gibraltar', it was to market their product to public
libraries.

What we call the Modern Library Buckram, Regular or Giant, is referred
to as such due to the words "Buckram Reinforced" stamped on the lower
spine of most of the variations of this binding.
Some confusion may arise, especially on sites like ABE, where
booksellers use the common term "buckram" to refer to the more rugged
cloth which covers the boards of any hardback book. Therefore, they may
state that the Blumenthal binding is bound in buckram cloth.  While this
description may be accurate, it is not used properly in the context of
the Modern Library series.

I have assembled several shelves of Buckrams over the past 10 years, and
none of them have the word Gibraltar associated with them.  I have used
the term 'Gibraltar' a time or two as a synonym, though, while trying to
relate the enduring nature of these volumes and the protection afforded
its contents.

Best,
Brian