[ModLib] What should 1st number for Butterfield 8 be?

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Mon Jul 28 17:40:37 EDT 2014

Collector Craig Stoyle notes the following:

'  O'Hara - BUtterfield 8.  Your info states:  "Butterfield 8 first appeared in the regular Modern Library series in the fall of 1962," and, "Butterfield 8 has a Modern Library number of 323, a number not assigned to any issue until 1962. The title appears in no Modern Library catalog or list of active titles previous to fall of 1962,"  and "Dates in print: 1962 [Fall] - 1970," but also states "First inverse DJ number: 403," which is fall, 1961.  Butterfield is one of the unstated firsts.  Toledano also lists it as 1962.  My copy has fall 1961 catalogs back of book & verso of jacket (Mailer, not Hersey).  Appears first should be 1961.  '

Something is off, I guess. Who has an early BUtterfield 8? What's your inverse DJ number?

No, I can't do this all on my own.
I know, I'm no superman -- theme song from Scrubs