[ModLib] 1990's bindings with Movie or TV tie-ins

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 12 09:53:32 EDT 2014

I don't collect ML's from this period systematically but I do have a number of them.  I have tie-in dj's that aren't on your list for the following titles:
   Hardy, Return of the Native (Hallmark Hall of Fame Presentation)
   Melville, Moby Dick (Hallmark Hall of Fame Presentation on the USA Network; "Enter the Moby Dick Sweepstakes at www.usanetwork.com")
   H. G. Wells, Island of Dr. Moreau (motion picture from New Line Cinema)
   Scott, Ivanhoe (A&E/BBC presentation)
I  have copies of   Middlemarch in a standard dj of this period  with a picture of George Eliot on the front panel as well as a  dj promoting the  Hallmark Hall of Fame Presentation.

I think the 1940 printing of Eugene O'Neill's "The Long Voyage Home" was the ML's first  tie-in jacket.  Not only did the jacket have cover art created to promote the film and the words 'THE COMPLETE STORY OF THE JOHN FORD MOTION PICTURE PRODUCTION PRESENTED BY WALTER WANGER , but the title was changed from "The Moon of the Caribbees    and Six Other Plays of the Sea" to "The Long Voyage Home [the title of the film]: Seven lays of the Sea."  All future printings were published under the new title.