[ModLib] a question about terms..

Bill Hornick willthemad at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 10:50:56 EDT 2014

Bryan,

First, my apologies for the delay in responding to your inquiry.  I hope that the following details are helpful.

Regulars

Style 15
Dates:    1977-80
ID:          Maroon paper-covered boards, Fujita-type logo embossed on upper right book cover, title/author in gilt at spine top
Endpapers: F (blank)
DJ cover: Typographical title/author with line border and Fujita-type logo on tan paper
DJ inverse: Blank
DJ back:    p  (blank except for ISBN in lower right)
Notes:    Alice B. Toklas is a new title in this style.

Style 16
Dates: 1980-85
ID:    Maroon paper-covered boards, Bernhard-type logo in black centered on book cover, title/author in gilt at spine top
Endpapers: G (cover logo repeated to fill endpapers)
DJ cover:    Black Alcorn pictorial woodcuts on tan paper
DJ spine: horizontal or vertical title/author
DJ inverse:  title list (include styles 15, 16, G8, G9)
DJ back:    q (paragraph on Modern Library)
Notes: There are 29 titles, some of them new.

Style 17
Dates: 1992-2009(?)
ID:    Grey cloth-covered boards, Bernhard logo embossed on cover center, title/author in gilt on spine
Endpapers: C
DJ cover: Style 1 - Vertical author photo, painting or other; title/author, sometimes other credits
                Style 2 - Horizontal author photo, painting or other; title/author, sometimes other credits
                Style 3 - Horizontal movie, TV photo or illustration or a completely different design even for previous printings of same title
DJ inverse: Blank on earliest printings (1992- c. 1994), title list including Giants for later printings even of same title (c. 1994-2009)DJ
DJ back: r (without and with bar codes; usually excerpts from reviews, varieties in number of excerpts
Notes: Some DJs were changed after only a few months; some first editions have first-state and second-state DJs often changing from
            horizontal title/author to vertical title/author and adding other credits.
            There are many new titles in this series; many titles have content varieties such as different introductions; there are three different
            varieties of Joe Gould.
            There are three titles that have an unusually wide width.
            Many titles had only a first printing and some titles are really difficult to find; some early DJs are also difficult to find.  A few titles consistently sell
            for over $100.

Style: 18
Dates: 2009-date
ID:     Quarter cloth with wheat cloth and beige-colored paper over boards; gilt or colored-ink title/author on spine; embossed Berhard logo on cover
Endpapers: C
DJ cover: Style 2 or 3 from the style 17 bindings or completely new DJs
DJ inverse: blank or title list including Giants of styles 17, 18, G10, G11 and others
DJ back: no letter yet assigned but there seem to be three categories: 1) photos of author, 2) excerpts of reviews, 3) ML blurbs
Note: Style 18 has both reprints of earlier titles and new titles or new varieties of previous titles, especially the commemorative editions

Giants

Style G8
Dates:    1977-80
ID: Same as Regular 15
Endpapers:    GA (blank)
DJ cover: Same as Regular 15 (Moby Dick is the exception)
DJ inverse:    blank
DJ back:     Gk (same as Regular 15)
Notes: New titles include The Raymond Chandler Omnibus and a three-volume set of O'Neill's plays.

Style G9
Dates: 1980-85
ID: Same as Regular style 16
Endpapers: GG (same as Regular 16)
DJ cover: Same as Regular style 16 but Huck Finn is an exception in style and size.
DJ inverse: Title list of Regular 15, 16, G8, G9
DJ back:    Gl (same as Regular 16)
Note:  There are eleven of these Giants; six are new titles.

Style G10
Dates:    1992-2009(?)
ID:        Same as Regular 17
Endpapers:     GD
DJ cover:     Style 1, 2 or 3 (same as Regular 17)
DJ inverse:     Blank or title list (same as Regular 17)
DJ back:     Gm (same as Regular 17 with all the varieties; e.g., there are four different DJs for Moby Dick)
Notes: There are ten Giants in this style that are the size of the three-volume Gibbon.  There are also several Book-Club editions in paper-covered boards
            and two titles that defy classification (the complete Shakespeare and the 75th Anniversary Candide.  Some of these varieties have cloth-covered
            boards other than grey.  Many G10 titles have new introductions or other content that differs from previous editions of existing titles.  Many new titles in G10.

Style G11
Dates:    2009-date
ID: Same as Regular style 18
Endpapers:    GD
DJ cover:         G10 varieties or completely new style for the matched sets (e.g., Faulkner, Capote, Massie)
DJ inverse:       Title list of Regular 17, 18, G10, G11
DJ back:        Same three categories as Regular style 18

That's about as succinct as I can make it.  I did not include the Chronicles which exist in four different style and include several Book-Club editions.  I am constantly discovering new content and DJ varieties.  Credit must be shared with Darrell Johnson with whom I worked in identifying and classifying the 1990s (and beyond)hardbacks.

I hope this is not overwhelming.  Enjoy the hunt and the discovery.

All the best,
Bill Hornick