[ModLib] Q re Misbound Adams 76.2

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Wed Jan 8 12:43:52 EST 2014

I have two  #14 copies, one printed on good white paper with the Fujita endpaper in blue and a black cloth binding, the other on acidic ground-wood paper with plain white endpapers and the binding in coarse brown cloth; the paper in this copy is seriously browned with the worst browning around the edges that are exposed to air. Both have the same sequencing error in the list of ML titles. At this period ML books were being printed by offset lithography. The last gathering has 8 leaves (16 pages). The gathering would have been printed from two offset plates, one for each side of the sheet, e ach with images of 8 pages. The printer who was responsible for imposing the photographic ne gatives of p . 513 of the index t hrough the end of the volume messed up. Imposing plates or negatives so the pages of the book print in the correct order is second nature to printers.  The printer who imposed the negatives could have been drunk or he (nearly all commercial printers at this period were male ) could have an inexperienced apprentice.