[ModLib] Illustrator for Heyward's Porgy?

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Mon Feb 24 17:19:23 EST 2014

True Williams, not Kemble, illustrated The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (TW also worked on Roughing It.) Williams was up to this book, but he was a terrible drunk and there were difficulties with him. Kemble was not as clever an artist as Williams but was more reliable. I should aver that Adveentures of Huckleberry Finn is so much larger and geater a book that its companion volume (as it were) that probably no one could have done an adequate job.

I do not own this volume of the Modern Libray, but I have seen it and it does not have illustrations.

Roger Lathbury