[ModLib] Tortilla Flat

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Sun Feb 23 17:43:18 EST 2014

I think I can clear up the business of the illustrations in Tortilla Flat. The first edition of the novel, Covici and Friede, 1935, had the Gannett illustrations. It would have been more expensive to take them out. It would not have saved enough in paper, and the book would have needed to be re-imposed and re-paginated. Since the Covici Friede edition is close in format (size, proportion of pages) to the Modern Library, it was easier to retain the Gannett pictures and produce an illustrated book.

Roger Lathbury