[ModLib] Anybody got a #14 binding with anything EXCEPT a style o DJ?

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 12 14:16:32 EST 2014

The mysterious reappearance of the "First Modern Library Edition" statement was probably the result of the transition from letterpress to offset lithographic printing.  In l etterpress printing the  printing surface is raised from the body of the type or printing plate ; the raised surface is inked and the inked image is transferred to paper in the printing press.  Letterpress printing was invented by Gutenberg in the 15th century.  Following the first printing, the "first" statement was normally removed from the printing plate, though there are examples of ML books that included the first statement in more than one printing because the printers forgot to remove it after the first printing .

With the transition to offset lithographic printing in the 1960s for nearly all books , the printing plates no longer has raised printing surfaces.  Offset lithographic plates had  photographic images of the pages to be printed and were smooth to the touch.  Printing areas were treated to accept oily ink.  Water and ink were applied in succession to the plates; the water repelled ink from  the nonprinting areas, and areas to be printed accepted ink.  Removing "first" statements from offset plates was trickier and more involved than simply cutting the "first" statement out of a letterpress  plate.  A new photographic image of the verso of the title page would have been necessary, and the Modern Library tended not to bother.

Older ML titles were photographed to make it possible to print them by offset lithography .  First printings were preferred because the type wasn't worn from successive printings, and the ML's printers didn't bother to mask the first statements.  This meant that typos in the first printing sometimes came back to life in later offset printings or that corrections made after the first printing were lost.  A few titles were also printed by offset lithography in from the mid 1930s on because the original letterpress were too large for the ML's format.  The first statements tended to be included on successive printings of these as well.