[ModLib] Illustrated ML Franklin in reg ML dj

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Mon Apr 7 18:58:45 EDT 2014

I also have a pristine copy of the Illustrated ML Franklin in a regular ML dj (spring 1953). The book appears to be the 1944 first printing of the IML edition, with the IML binding and endpapers .   (T he red line above the imprint is even with the foot of Benton's frontispiece illustration; Bruce Rogers, who designed the book, recommended that the title page be moved up a quarter of an inch in the next printing.   The adjustment was made in  spring 1946 .  This is different from late IML printings that were distributed in regular ML bindings   after the illustrated series was discontinued.  My guess is that Cerf and Klopfer ordered the second IML printing earlier than necessary and set aside remaining copies of the first IML printing --  and that these were eventually sold with regular ML stock in regular dust jackets.