[ModLib] Starch in Cloth

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Sat Sep 28 22:33:01 EDT 2013

I don't know the particulars of Modern Library sizing, but the material used in Oxford University Press books and  many book cloths 1930-1960 was starch (as in starching shirts). Starch imparted to cloth a smooth surface. Treated cloth was easier  to stamp, and starch gave covers a silky finish. If it got wet it left a mark, dulling the shine. The coarser the cloth the weaker and more distorted the fibers became. Obviously this didn't matter if the wet area was on a non-folding part of the cloth.

I don't know if starch was used in Modern Library books.

Roger