[ModLib] Comments on this please: Aristotle's Politics 228.1

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Nov 28 16:08:47 EST 2013

The most reliable way of establishing the publication date of ML (and other) books is through the listings in Publishers Weekly 's "Weekly Record" of newly published books.   PW is the trade journal of the American publishing industry , and publishers sent copies (not just announcements) of newly published books for listing.  Aristotle's Politics is listed in the "Weekly Record" of the issue dated March 13, 1943, so we can reliably conclude that it was published in March 1943.

Chad's suggestion of why a spring 1943 publication could have a fall 1942 list inside the jacket seems convincing to me.  Printing both sides of jackets required separate runs through the press, and since the in side of the jackets for a given season were identical , it makes sense that the ML printed large quantities of the inside of the jacket  first, and subsequently printed the outsides for new titles that were being added to the series and for backlist titles that were being reprinted in a given season .  I must admit that I'd never thought about this before -- thanks Chad!   In the case of Aristotle's Politics , the ML list inside the jacket is printed in black, and the outside is printed in medium gray and deep red. What surprises me is that using leftover jackets with lists  from the previous season  inside f or jacket s printed the following season didn't happen more often.  My guess is that Cerf and Klopfer deliberatel y tried to avoid using jackets with outdated lists -- the lists  were included to tempt customers to buy more ML books, and it would be bad business to frustrate repeat customers by listing titles that were no longer available.