[ModLib] The New Spirit

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:29:10 EST 2013

Boni and Liveright published Ellis's The New Spirit in the ML in January 1921, and Cerf and Klopfer discontinued it at the end of 1932.   I was unaware of the National Home Library printing, but it wasn't unusual for Cerf and Klopfer to rent their plates to other publishers. The only tidbit of information I have from the archives is a letter from Cerf to H. L. Mencken in 1926  indicating that sales of The New Spirit,  which had been just over 1,500 copies annually during the preceding three years, jumped to 1,334 copies in the first six months of 1926 (Cerf to Mencken, 20 July 1926). The increase was probably the result of a newly published biography by Isaac Goldberg, Havelock Ellis: A Biographical and Critical Survey ( Simon and Schuster, 1926).