[ModLib] The Age of Innocence, a Side Note

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Sat Jun 15 16:20:13 EDT 2013

For those interested in such matters, the Modern Library The Age of Innocence uses the revised plates of the first edition of 1920 so has some textual interest and validity. Wharton died in 1937. I'd be interested if anyone knows the contractual arrangements made with D. Appletons—what they were, when made, with whom, etc.

It's my favorite of Wharton's novels, the most Jamesian. The paper-over-boards of the first edition is so fragile that a copy in good shape commands a significant premium. The textual changes, which of course make sense, are not extensive.

Best,

Roger L.