[ModLib] Some Discrepancies

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sat Jun 15 16:01:11 EDT 2013

The ML edition of Wharton's Age of Innocence was published in March 1943 and has a spring 1943 ML list at the end of the volume and ins ide the jacket (291 titles; incl udes Du Maurier, Rebecca but not Shakesp eare).  The "First Modern Library Edition" statement was retained on the second printing (spring 1944) but this can be distinguised from the first printing because the ML lists are different.  I believe reports of a 1942 first with 284 titles are mistaken.

Random House published the original trade edition of Wisdom and China and India in 1942 and added it to ML Giants in fall 1955. The verso of the title page states: F IRST Modern Library Giant EDITION, 1955".  There's no list at the end of the volume, but the first printing jacket  has a fall 1955 list (374 titles; includes Santayana, Sense of Beauty but not Tennys on, Selected Poetry ). The Giant binding is G5.