[ModLib] New Tools & Updates for ModernLib

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sun Jul 28 16:13:49 EDT 2013

 Folks,

For the last two months we've been doing lots and lots of stuff in the background to make ModernLib more robust and reliable, and to allow us to create some new and useful tools. We've been moving material into databases, updating DJ backs and bindings material, fixing broken links, and so on.

Some new tools to tell you about.

• We've updated and added a number of subtypes for dust jacket backs. Especially noteworthy are the subtypes for the h variety ( http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/djBacksReg/hVariations.html ) and the Gb variety ( http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/djBacksGiant/GbVariations.html ).  We've also renamed subtypes for Style 5 bindings. ( http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/bindingsReg/bindingsReg.html#binding5 )

• You can now find all the titles known to exist in a given binding. Just scroll down to "Finding Specific Catalogs, Titles, or Authors" on the Home page, click Binding #, enter 1 through 14 or G1 through G7, and click Find It. For a more robust version of this BindingsFinder tool that lets you find multiple binding styles at the same time, go here:  http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/bindingFinder.htm

• Tables now exist for dust jacket backs that parallel those for bindings: they identify jacket back styles confirmed to exist for each title in both the regular series ( http://modernlib.com/Identifiers/jacketsProjectTable.pl ) and the giant series ( http://modernlib.com/Identifiers/jacketsProjectTableGiants.pl ).

• In BookNotes, jacket back styles are now broken out by subtypes where they are known to exist as are binding 5 variations. Additionally, both jacket styles and binding styles are broken out  by Toledano number where multiple numbers appear in the same BookNote. For example, go to the Cellini page ( http://modernlib.com/authors/cAuthors/celliniJackets.html#150.3 ) and click the BookNotes icon. For an extreme example, go to the Tolstoy page ( http://modernlib.com/authors/tAuthors/tolstoyJackets.html#037.3 ) and click BookNotes for Anna Karenina.

Enjoy,

Scot Kamins & Ron Holl
If you still think anything is unbelievable, you haven't been paying attention.