[ModLib] ADVENTURES IN ONLINE BOOK BUYING AND A QUESTION

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 11:48:09 EDT 2013

John,
Sorry for your frustration.  Good thing it was a Gibraltar Binding!
Which buckram giant..?  I am itching to know.
My guess is this...
1.  When books are stored in the attic or basement or barn for a long
period of time, dust will accumulate.  This dust will absorb moisture
out of the air.  You can see where this is growing.. I mean going.  When
some book sleuth comes by years later and cleans the book, some of the
fabric surface or "sheen" may be removed in the dusting process.  So,
the book may not be moldy on the inside, but it may appear mottled
slightly in just the right lighting situation on the exterior of the
boards.  All buckrams have a peculiar paper/glue/fabric odor, but not a
musty mold odor.  If that helps at all.  I have started storing mine in
a specially made cedar bookcase to try to drive out that smell.  It has
been a year and a half with no discernible change.
2.  moisture caused the fabric dye to fade in that splattering effect
you sometimes see.
3.  I have curious rubbings on the spines of some buckrams where the
call letters had previously been.  And you can color over this with a
fabric marker if you are careful.  Buckrams are very forgiving.

I have buckrams with every handling wear you can imagine...well maybe
not...and I have seen several like this.  I have seen little fuzzies
growing on buckrams, too, so I would be cautious.  I recall that 20's
buckram Moby Dick that I had to send back because of excessive and
actively growing mold.  Broke my heart...

I was vacationing in Maine a few years back and searching for the
long-lost book.  I entered a shed built off the side of a barn that
looked 200 years old.  The volumes lined up and stacked on the shelf had
so much dust and dirt on them that there were actually little weeds
growing on them.  Sad, there were some decent old books on those
shelves.  I left empty-handed.

Brian