[ModLib] ADVENTURES IN ONLINE BOOK BUYING AND A QUESTION

jwol jwol at fast.net
Sat Jul 27 10:00:29 EDT 2013

The first clue my latest online purchase is a problem is when I happened to
check the tracking number online at 7:00 PM and noted it was delivered at
5:15 PM that day; however, the book was not on my front porch.  I returned
from the gym at 4:30 PM, collected my mail from my mailbox but noted no
book.   I emailed the USPS, provided relevant details and asked, "what
next?"

Two days later I received an email explaining it could be picked up at the
post office or scheduled for redelivery.  I preferred the inconvenience of
driving the seven miles to the post office than risking having another
deliver failure.

When presented with the package, I noted three tears in the manila envelope
it was mailed in.  Opening it, I found my newly acquired 3 lb 10 oz Buckram
Giant with 1,124 pages was wrapped in a Saran Wrap type product with no
bubble wrap or padded envelope to carry it across the country.  A manila
envelope!  No wonder it was torn in three places and a miracle there was no
damage to the book.

Looking at the book, I would grade it as very good apart from the following:
the front and rear cover have some sort of mottling, not prominent but
discernible spots.  An associate and serious collector described them as
white and suggested the book was probably stored in a basement.  There is a
slight hint of mustiness to the pages, but not overbearing.  I checked other
sales by this seller and discovered mostly non books, sewing machine parts,
video games, etc.  So they are not a book dealer.

So, what is it?  Is it contagious?  Can it be treated?

Thanks for any help.

John