[ModLib] On Ring Lardner

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 26 12:29:52 EDT 2013

Roger is correct about the contents of the ML Lardner -- it was printed under a new title from the Scribner plates for Round Up.

I suspect that it was dropped -- or possibly withdrawn from the ML -- when Scribner's added Lardner's Haircut and Other Stories to its quality paperback series, Scribner Library, in 1954. The ML edition probably couldn't compete with the somewhat cheaper paperback.  If Scribner's cancelled the ML's reprint rights, the ML would have been allowed to sell out its existing stock.  The ML edition was discontinued in fall 1956.