[ModLib] On Ring Lardner

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Thu Jul 25 22:44:41 EDT 2013

I can answer Ron's question as to why the title was discontinued. Lardner doesn't sell well. As the publisher of _Letters of Ring Lardner_ I can vouch for this point. His stories are a lot of immediate fun, demonstrate an impeccable ear, make you laugh and laugh and laugh, and possess the power of a deeply cynical, bitterly disillusioned man. If they lack a sense of history and cannot reach the range of human emotion (think of Chekhov), Lardner is still perfect within his range.

I believe that the contents of this book are identical to Lardner's collected stories of 1929, _Round Up_ but am not sure. In any case, very few stories if any from the four years Lardner lived after _Round Up_ measure up to those from before.

Roger L.