[ModLib] Changes in the works for ModernLib

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Thu Jul 11 16:04:00 EDT 2013

Folks,

Ron Holl and I are doing a lot of behind-the-scenes tweaking of ModernLib. (For those who don't know, Ron Holl is my silent partner in maintaining and updating the website. He does nearly all the programming that runs the thing; I handle the day-to-day updating.)

Many of the changes you may not notice, but they will result in more consistency when changes are made. This is because more and more of the website data is being moved from html text to databases. Take binding style reports for example: When someone reports a previously unlisted style 2 for an Oscar Wilde title, I'm supposed to add that style to the BookNotes for that title, as well as to the Binding Style Table. Well, sometimes I get busy or the phone rings or something happens so that the style gets listed in one place but not the other. Or I'll forget to upload a changed file. Etc.  With our new system, I'll have tools that let me make one change in one place and everything gets updated automatically.

But there are some changes you WILL notice. For example, we're regularizing terminology in many places—for example, DJ back variations. Notoriously, the "l" variations were listed as l', l, l(b), l'a, and l".  These are being changed to subscripted numbers: l1, l2, l3, l4, and l5 making them much easier to discuss and to follow. (You can refer to them as l1 or l(1) in communications if subscripts are tough for you to format in your mail client.)

Other tools and charts and whatnot are in the works for you to use, but I'll have more on that later.

On the downside for the moment, some of the updates you've been sending me -- particularly DJ backs and binding styles -- won't appear until the updates are done. So I ask your patience. Be assured your contributions will appear on the website.

Now, here's one more downside: When we press the button to launch all these changes, you may find errors. This is because we need to transfer all the data from the html files to the databases by hand. So there may be typos and missed material -- not much, but there will be some. When you spot it, just tell me about it and we'll fix it.

So stay tuned.

This too will pass.