[ModLib] Title Disparities Project Launched

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Mon Jan 14 15:08:21 EST 2013

Perhaps not of special interest to this list serv, but, from a scholarly point of view, the titles of these works are _The Adventures of Tom Sawyer_ and _Adventures of Huckleberry Finn_ (without the definite article). Thus they are written in the first editions of these tales.

Twain's idea may be that these are the discrete and more or less complete adventures of Tom Sawyer, but that Huckleberry Finn, who at the end of the story "light[s] out for the territory ahead of the rest," has more in store for him.

Ironically, if this be true, Twain later wrote _Tom Sawyer Detective_ and _Tom Sawyer Abroad._

Some casualness with the titles of these two books is not misplaced since they have become such living icons in American culture that they can be variously referred to, the way one sometimes does with people one knows well.

Roger