[ModLib] Title Disparities Project Launched

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Jan 14 14:51:28 EST 2013

As I mentioned about week ago, Bill Hornick suggested a new project listing variations in titles. Emails have confirmed the usefulness of such a project. Thanks to the large amount of data that Bill sent me to get the project rolling, I've produced a jumpstart page. From the introduction:

"A book's title can vary depending on where you look. Looking at a different place for a book's title can lead to confusion and sometimes to ordering the wrong book from a dealer or picking up the wrong book in a bookstore. This is especially true if the title changes any place in the book package from one printing to another.
"Taking for example Mark Twain's classic works, the book spine in the G5 binding says Tom Sawyer \\ Huckleberry Finn (where \\ indicates a line separation), the title page says The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the dust jacket spine says Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, and the dust jacket cover says Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. (A fifth variation might exist, but in this case there's no title on the book cover.) Things can get really sticky if further variations exist in a different printing or binding.

"The Title Disparities Project is designed to help remedy this problem. The goal of this ongoing project is to list all instances where a title changes from place to place, printing to printing, and binding style to binding style."

The page is here:  http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/GiantTitleDisparities.html . That page starts the giants portion. Bill also sent me much data for the regular portion, and I'll be working on that one; you can expect the first appearance of it in about another week.

Comments are welcomed, and data contributions to the project are solicited.  Once again, ModernLib projects can succeed ONLY if readers of this mailing list send data!!!!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou