[ModLib] end papers

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:43:17 EST 2013

I also have a copy of the Maeterlinck in a style 4 binding with Brodzky endpapers. It's a Boni and Liveright printing. When Cerf bought the Modern Library from Horace Liveright in 1925, he got the ML stock in the warehouse. Some of the books were bound; others consisted of unbound sheets that had been folded and sewn -- and had endpapers attached.  Boni & Liveright appears to have warehoused much of its ML stock in this form and "cased" the books in imitation leather bindings as needed. When Cerf filled orders for these books he naturally cased them in ML, Inc. bindings.

Barry Neavill