[ModLib] a question

Graham, Charles charles.graham at dominican.edu
Thu Feb 28 14:04:20 EST 2013

Sorry for the delay, I have been meaning to share my 'first Modern Library
story,' and have certainly enjoyed reading everybody else's.  My first ML
was Goethe's Faust 177.2, purchased from the Odyssey Bookshop in Novato
(sadly, now closed).  I do not remember why I was looking for that title in
particular, but there were a few copies on the shelf.  I was drawn to a
compact hardbound edition with a mylar-wrapped dust jacket (binding 8, DJ
i).  It had a classy look and feel, the kind of book you would read while
savoring a martini (already a good start).  I looked at the dust jacket
back- something about the world's best, inexpensive yet quality books
(sounded 'modern' and very martini).  It certainly was in good shape for a
vintage hardbound book, and only $8.  I thought "ok, why not?"  On return
trips to Odyssey (they also had a store in San Rafael back then), I noticed
many other Modern Library titles, although at that time it was "oh look,
one of those.  Those are cool, I'll get it" (the title did not matter, it
was one of "those").  I was hooked at that point, then the owner Pete
showed me Henry Toledano's guide.  I thought "wow, there's a whole book
about these things."  I did finally get the guide a couple of years ago
from Joe Hill, along with some additional ML titles, and was fascinated by
his collection.  I do not have a large collection, but still look from time
to time in the used book stores.  They do seem to turn up less often these
days.
Cheers,

Chuck Graham
Mail Services Coordinator