[ModLib] a question

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Feb 21 23:07:26 EST 2013

I didn't have a first ML book -- I had two.  I was in the ninth grade .  My family had recently moved back to the Cleveland area from Akron .   Even at that age I loved going to bookstores.  I took the Van Aken rapid transit to Shaker Square in Cleveland Heights.  My destination was the Shaker Book Shop which had a large  double-sided Modern Library rack toward the back of the store .  T he books were shelved by ML number. I was after nos. 31 and 163 -- Bram Stoker's Dracula and H. Rider Haggard's She & King Solomon's M ines.  They were $1.65 each -- I had saved up my allowance.  Dracula had the wonderfully effective jacket by McKnight Kauffer.  She & King Solomon's Mines was the first ML printing.   I read both of them  eagerly and still have both books today.