[ModLib] a question

robert watling jr. rewatlingjr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:36:09 EST 2013

Interestingly, my Modern Library collecting began with William James'
Varieties of Religious Experience too. I belong to a group which counts
that book among it's root sources and I'd never read it. I asked a friend
to loan me a copy and the book he gave me was a battered Modern Library
edition. He inscribed it for me so I know it was July, 1991. I read it
through a couple of times and by the third reading I started to feel I was
beginning to understand it. Later I recommended it to another friend who
found a Modern Library copy with dust jacket. I liked the jacket so much I
had to find one of my own and that was the start of it. Now I have about
three hundred volumes in my collection. Not many by the standards of this
group but I'm impressed. Most of mine are Blumenthals but I recently have
added about fifty pre-Blumenthals including one with a jacket. I got
thirty four of those in one purchase. I have two signed Modern Library
copies, Christopher Morley's Parnassus On Wheels and the Illustrated
Confucius signed by the illustrator, Jeanyee Wong. So that's my story. I
pick up any I find foraging around but try to focus on things I really
want when searching on ebay. I can always find a few at Powell's and also
the County Library bood sale. I have lots of other books but the Modern
Library books are my passion. Thanks for the question and expecially to
Scott for your reply. For me James was a good place to start...Robert
Watling Jr.