[ModLib] a question

Bryan Tinkle tinkinc85 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:02:47 EST 2013

Thanks, everyone for your responses.  I started my collection without
having any knowledge of the ML history or even that there were other
enthusiasts.  I knew there had to be other collectors since the books never
seemed to stay in the used bookstores very long.  Once I found Scott's
website I got hooked.

FWIW, I collect only hardbacks - primarliy the Binding style #8 (I have
picked up a few 6-11's when I can not find a title in 8 and the price is
right.)  And I collect the Giants in binding style 5.  Apparently I am
somewhat in a minority in that I am NOT particularly interested in the DJ.
 When I have the books out and shelved I generally have the dj's saved in
an acid free box and the books themselves arranged by color (silly huh?)
 Or even in first editions.  I suppose if I was attempting on making a
valuable collection versus one that has titles I like I might be
differently motivated.  I do have some of the faux 80's but am limiting
myself to the Woodcut DJ which I actually do like.  For the 90/2000
bindings (what exactly do collectors call these with the author photos on
the spine?)  I have several but have now strategized only to collect those
titles not previously available in vintage bindings.  As several of you
have mentioned, the fun is the hunt.

So a follow up question what was your first ML book that got you started?
 Mine was a type 8 copy of Plato's Republic with a dj that I found for $3.
 Really liked it and then started to see more of the same styles in the
book stores I haunted at the time.

cheers,
Bryan