[ModLib] Adding new number 195.4

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Tue Feb 19 16:33:00 EST 2013

Hi folks,

While working on some new absolutely-fabulous-soon-to-be-announced features, I came across an issue with Byron's Selected Poetry. From the BookNotes for that title, based on the research of Barry Neavill:

Originally published in Spring 1954 in 645 pages, a revised edition with 708 pages appeared in 1967 that included excerpts from Don Juan. (Other material was also added, omitted, or changed.) In the revised edition the Marchand introduction is somewhat longer because it includes a couple of pages discussing Don Juan.

Around 1969 or 1970 the title appeared in the taller format with the Fujita torchbearer on the title page. But instead of reprinting the revised edition, ML used the plates of the original edition.

We've been going with two numbers up to now -- 195.2 for the first and third releases, and 195.3 for the second release. But ML's resident programmer Ron Holl & I find this troublesome. For purposes of the ML database, we're adding a third number to this series. Thus:

                                    195.2 [1954 - 1967]
                                    195.3 [1967 - 1969 revised edition]
                                    195.4 [1969 - 1970 reissued original edition]

If you find this troublesome, just ignore it and go on with the original numbering. But those of us on the side of righteousness ...

---  Scot Kamins
Rehab is for quitters.