[ModLib] BOOK CLUB EDITIONS AND ML

Bill Hornick willthemad at aol.com
Wed Dec 18 21:54:08 EST 2013

As a French major in college I read many of Voltaire's works.  Remember that Candide was written to ridicule Leibnitz's philosophy that this is the best of all possible worlds which justifies the status quo.  Remember also that Voltaire also successfully pinned the "Let them eat cake!" quote on Marie Antoinette even though he knew that another French aristocrat had said it.

My favorite quote from Candide: "Optimism is the mania of maintaining that everything is right when it is wrong."
>From his philosophical works: "Every man has the right to live as he sees fit provided that he does not harm (create problems for) his neighbor."
                                                "Religious fanaticism is the enemy of civilization."

All three statements could use reflection in today's world.