[ModLib] Comments on this please: Aristotle's Politics 228.1

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Dec 2 17:20:53 EST 2013

Thinking more on this, it all depends on how we define a first. If it's the first batch that left the factory, then both 284 and 291 could be considered firsts -- perhaps with a premium for the 284. This assumes that the first batch had some 291s in it. I don't know if there's a way to ascertain this for certain, except that the paucity (so far a total of 1) of reports of 284s would argue for 284/291 mixed first shipped batch.

Another argument could be made that a first is one where the first batch left the factory AND whose parts were all printed at the same time—which would relegate 284 to the status of anomaly. This thinking would throw everything into turmoil because of all the book blocks that were printed and sitting in sheets, waiting for their bindings to be made. I don't like this one much.

On Dec 1, 2013, at 1:57 PM, John Peterson wrote:

> My one and only copy of On War (not FMLGE) has 284 titles on the DJ inverse, yet mentions 299 titles on the other side (rear flap).  My stated FMLE Aristotle has 291 titles on the inverse.  So I am of divided sentiments in the issue.
>
> John Peterson

Our entire much-praised technological progress, and civilization generally, could be compared to an axe in the hand of a pathological criminal. -- Albert Einstein