[ModLib] Comments on this please: Aristotle's Politics 228.1

jwol jwol at fast.net
Sun Dec 1 15:14:31 EST 2013

I recall Gordon, I believe, once stating there is only one first in a
discussion of this matter some years ago.  That is the philosophy I adhered
to while hunting books; however, I then stumbled upon a copy of G22, On War
by Clausewitz with 284 titles on the inverse.  The "official" first edition
was to have 292 titles on the inverse.  My find would have dated the jacket
to a full year before the "official" first.  Then, I found a second copy
with the same pointers.  Subsequent discussion on this board speculated the
front and back of the jackets were printed separately and a box of old
jackets were discovered at a later date and used.  While the ML would not
want to use an older jacket with newer offerings excluded, it was during the
war years and paper scarcity may have been an issue.  Note that both the
Aristotle's Politics and On War had 284 titles referred to as the issue.
Also, I believe the inside of the rear flap had a later list of titles, but
I would need to research that if anyone cares.

How many of the collectors have an Aristotle with 284 on the first.    How
many have an On War with 284 besides me and the individual I sold a copy to?

I am on the fence  on this one, Scott.

John