[ModLib] Comments on this please: Aristotle's Politics 228.1

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sun Dec 1 14:58:35 EST 2013

So it would seem that the absolutely TRUE first DJs of wrapped Politics carry a 284 title list. It's quite possible, I suppose, that some books with the more up-to-daate 291 titles left the factory at the same time as the 284 copies, and an argument could be made that they also should be called firsts.  But Hard Truth must be declared in this matter, lest there be a schism among collectors.

[:: Donning ModernLib.com Senior Editor's Mitre and speaking ex cathedra ::] The One True First of Aristotle's Politics carries the number 284. So the BookNotes will proclaim.

But collectors who insist that their copies of 291 are to be called Firsts are not to be held in anathema by the faithful. By the same token, 291'ers should refrain from TPing the home of V. Civiletti who started this mess in the first place.

Happy Holidays, kids.

On Nov 28, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Gordon Barrick Neavill wrote:

> The most reliable way of establishing the publication date of ML (and other) books is through the listings in Publishers Weekly's "Weekly Record" of newly published books. PW is the trade journal of the American publishing industry, and publishers sent copies (not just announcements) of newly published books for listing.  Aristotle's Politics is listed in the "Weekly Record" of the issue dated March 13, 1943, so we can reliably conclude that it was published in March 1943.
>
> Chad's suggestion of why a spring 1943 publication could have a fall 1942 list inside the jacket seems convincing to me.  Printing both sides of jackets required separate runs through the press, and since the inside of the jackets for a given season were identical, it makes sense that the ML printed large quantities of the inside of the jacket first, and subsequently printed the outsides for new titles that were being added to the series and for backlist titles that were being reprinted in a given season.  I must admit that I'd never thought about this before -- thanks Chad!  In the case of Aristotle's Politics, the ML list inside the jacket is printed in black, and the outside is printed in medium gray and deep red. What surprises me is that using leftover jackets with lists  from the previous season inside for jackets printed the following season didn't happen more often.  My guess is that Cerf and Klopfer deliberately tried to avoid using jackets with outdated lists -- the lists were included to tempt customers to buy more ML books, and it would be bad business to frustrate repeat customers by listing titles that were no longer available.
>
> Barry

 All things that are of a nature to arise are of a nature to pass away. -- Kondanna